China’s digital landscape is evolving at a staggering pace.
And while this has launched the country’s digital industries to the top, many of us in the West aren’t familiar with the size of China’s online market — nor the channels that dominate it.
That’s why we’ve curated this list of top China business statistics: to share all the statistics any writer, marketer, or business owner needs to know about Chinese internet channels. So brace yourself for a whole lot of data.
Here are the top channel stats we’ll dive into:
- WeChat Stats
- Baidu Stats
- Weibo Stats
- TikTok Stats
- LinkedIn China Stats
- Bytedance Stats
China’s most popular app, WeChat serves as a multi-purpose platform for communication, shopping, and entertainment.
- WeChat has 1.2 billion monthly visitors worldwide. – Statista
- WeChat daily users reach approximately 900 million. – Technode
- 25% of WeChat users in China are between 25 and 30 years old, while 19% are over 41. – Statista
- WeChat has approximately 150 million international users. – Business of apps
- WeChat has approximately 19 million daily users in the US – Bloomberg
- In 2018, Tencent’s — WeChat’s parent company — advertising revenue increased by 44% to $8.7 billion, representing 20% of all company revenue. – Campaign
- In 2019, internet companies in China spent 21% of their online advertising budget on WeChat advertising alone. – Statista
WeChat Pay statistics
In China, WeChat Pay is an integrated payment method available to WeChat users — and it’s very popular.
- WeChat Pay has over 900 million monthly active users according to the New York Times. – New York Times
- WeChat Pay banked 1 billion commercial transactions per day in Q4 2019. – WalkTheChat
- 72 million corporations used WeChat Pay in 2019. – China Internet Watch
- Over 200 million bank cards are connected to WeChat pay. –
- …and the platform can now manage 13 different currencies, in 25 countries and regions.
WeChat mini-programs statistics
WeChat mini-programs are integrated platforms within WeChat that let users shop, play games, watch media, and order deliveries without ever having to leave the application.
- There have been over 1 million WeChat mini-programs, since 2018 (that’s already half the size of Apple’s App Store!) – TechCrunch
- WeChat mini-programs boast 829 million monthly active users. – Technode
- WeChat mini-programs are responsible for a total 1.1 billion transactions a day. – WalkTheChat
- In terms of revenue generated, WeChat mini-programs contributed $117 billion a year, as reported in 2019. – WalkTheChat
WeChat moments statistics
WeChat moments allow users to share videos, photos, and status updates with their contacts, via a social feed.
- WeChat moments has 750 million daily users. – Business of Apps
- The average user logs into view moments up to 10 times a day. – Business of Apps
- Moments register around 10 billion hits every 24 hours. – Business of Apps
China’s largest search engine, Baidu dominates the market with a 76.05% market share.
- Baidu has 195 million daily active users. – Statista
- … this adds up to 1.1 billion active devices per month. – CNBC
- Baidu is incredibly popular in China, with a phenomenal 71.13% market share vs. 0.98% worldwide. – Statcounter
- As you’d imagine, this means 94% of Baidu users are from China — while 1.7% are from Japan and 1.6% in the United States. – Statista
- Baidu generated $15.43 million in 2019, of which 76% came from ad revenue. – Statista
- Baidu made up 17% of all digital media ad spend in China for the first half of 2019. – CNBC
Weibo (also known as Sina Weibo) is a popular micro-blogging platform in China — similar to Twitter and Instagram. It is the second largest social media site in the country.
- Weibo daily active users: 241 million. – Weibo
- Weibo monthly active users: 550 million. – Weibo
- 40% of Weibo users are between 23-30 years old, and 57% are male. – Pulse advertising
- The platform sees a vast majority of activity from mobile — at 94%. – Weibo
- In 2018, 42.3% of the Chinese internet population used Weibo. – Statista
- In Q3 2018, Weibo’s net revenue totalled $460.2M, of which over 85% came from advertising. – Social Media Today
Next up, we have TikTok (known in China as Douyin) – the worldwide sensation and viral video sharing platform, where users share and upload short clips of dance challenges or online memes.
And it’s a medium you don’t want to ignore, when learning about China…
- TikTok has 800 million monthly active users worldwide – Influencer Marketing Hub
- … approximately 500 million of which are in China. – Fung Business Intelligence
- Within this, the TikTok platform has 50 million daily active US users — and 400 million in China. – TechCrunch
- 57% of TikTok users are based in China. – Business of Apps
- Douyin makes up 67.9% of China’s mobile social network users. – Tech Crunch
- Over 60% of users have college degrees, almost 65% are female, and 80% are under the age of 30. – Uplab
- Over half of TikTok/Douyin users in China access the app from their mobile device. – Statista
- TikTok has been most downloaded in India (99.8M), the USA (45.6M), Brazil (34.7M), Indonesia (30.7M), Russia (25.0M) and Mexico (24.2M) – Statista
- TikTok is available in 141 countries and is in the Top 25 of 136 of those. – Apptrace
- The app has been downloaded 2 billion times, globally. – CNBC
LinkedIn China statistics
LinkedIn China is an adapted version of LinkedIn for Chinese professionals. It is the most popular professional platform in the country.
- LinkedIn China has approximately 40 million users and a population reach of 3%. – Thinknum
- Significant growth has been experienced between 2016-18, where its user base increased by over 50%. – Thinknum
- LinkedIn China is now the third-largest LinkedIn territory behind the US and India. – 99 Firms
- ByteDance has a staggering collective reach of 1.5 billion monthly active users and 700 million daily active users across its portfolio. – Technode
- In 2019, ByteDance became the second-largest digital ad player in China, securing 23% of all ad spend in Q1, representing over $7 billion. – CNBC
- ByteDance is worth around $100 billion, making it one of the biggest and fastest-growing companies in the world. – Technode